Windows has changed a lot in the past couple of years as a platform. Microsoft has completely revamped the UI of the Windows. This is especially true if you are coming from Windows 7 or even older version of Windows. Given the fact that Microsoft offered a free upgrade to Windows 10 for all the older Windows users, most of the users have now migrated to Windows 10.
Well, the changes are not only on the outer looks but also on the internals as well. With every update of Windows, Microsoft adds new features, updates existing ones, and fix a lot of bugs. So, naturally, there are a few things that might get messed up in the process. One such thing is the MTP connection issue on Windows 10. If you have faced any one of the below error messages:
- MTP USB Device driver failed
- MTP USB device not installing
- MTP not recognized or Code 28
Then this guide is for you. Microsoft was very well aware of this issue when it happened and they even addressed this in an update shortly after. But for some reason, if the issue has not yet been fixed for you, then read ahead.
Before proceeding to the actual fix, we would like you to try the below things first:
- Switch USB Ports – This works sometimes, strangely. Try switching between USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports if you have them.
- Switch USB cable – Sometimes the fix is as easy as using a different USB cable.
- Restart the PC – Ahhh, the good old restart option. Give it a shot for me, will ya?
Fix MTP Driver Installation on Windows 10
If the above mentioned simple solution did not seem to work out for you, then follow the steps in the below guide. They might seem a bit complex but they are not, so, here we go:
We have provided 3 different methods below. Try all of them to see if you can fix the issue.
1. Install wpdmtp.inf
- Press Windows Key + R. Type %systemroot%\INF in the box and hit Enter.
- Alternatively, you can open file explorer and manually go to C:\Windows\INF
- Type wpdmtp.inf in the search bar in the top right corner.
- wpmdmtp.inf is a file related to MTP and installing it manually might help resolve the issue, especially if you had got the error message “A service installation section in this INF is invalid“.
- Right-click on the wpmdmtp.inf file and select Install. Click Yes if asked, “Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?”
- Once it’s done try connecting your MTP device again.
2. Install the MTP USB Device Driver
- Press Windows Key + R. In the run dialogue box, type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter to open the device manager.
- Alternatively, you can also search for Device Manager from the Start menu.
- Expand Portable devices and find your device. If you can’t, try looking under Other devices. Also, make sure your MTP device is connected to your PC, otherwise it won’t show here.
- Right-click > Update Driver Software. Then click on Browse my computer for driver software and select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
- From the options presented, select MTP USB Device, and click next. Follow the installation wizard to install it.
3. Download and install the Media Feature Pack
In some cases, installing the Media Feature Pack might help solve this issue. All you have to do is download the appropriate update from Microsoft’s Website, install it and reboot your PC.
Which file to download?
- 64-bit: Microsoft-Windows-MediaFeaturePack-OOB-Package_x64.msu.
- 32-bit: Microsoft-Windows-MediaFeaturePack-OOB-Package.msu.
If you have any questions, do let us know in the comments below!