Android Touch Screen Not Working is a common issue and it occurs from time to time for some of the users. Though it is not frequent, it could really be annoying when it happens. Here we have compiled a list of way to fix touchscreen not working on Android issue.
If you are an Android smartphone user one day you might be experienced the unresponsive touchscreen issue with your Android device, Here’s an overall guide to solving the touchscreen related issue on your own Android smartphone without any expert help.
In recent years, there has been an immense increase in the use of mobiles phones across the world, This can be seen by the growth of the mobile phone market and its sales. However, as like other electronic devices, mobile phones do exhibit so many strange issues and complications. One of the major problems associated with smartphone devices is the problem with its touchscreen.
The unresponsive touchscreen issue can be seen in all the major smartphones like Samsung, Htc, Vivo, One Plus, etc. Some of the problems are hardware and maybe permanent damage caused by drops or Accidents, such problems can only be rectified by the replacement of the parts like a Digitizer module or the Display module. etc
Recently the problem can be tackled if we get a thorough knowledge of the device and how it operates in different situations. Another problem that we confront with the smartphone is the problem of software issues. The most important problems associated with the use of smartphones are the issues like screen freezing screen lagging or it can cause hang and therefore getting it fixed. If such a thing happens to the phone we would get uninterested to use it.
But it is a fact that there are certain applications and modes within the smartphone phone itself and that will help us to solve the issues, which most of the people are not aware. Read ahead this article to get the steps and methods that will help you to fix the touchscreen related issues.
Fix Android Touch Screen Not Working Issue
Let’s assume your phone suddenly become froze or lagged without any physical damage due to drops or accidents, Then you can try the following steps to get it back to the normal condition.
Solution 1: Reboot the device
You were using the phone and it unexpectedly doesn’t respond to your touches, Without getting disappointed the first and foremost method is trying to switch off your phone.
1. Press and hold the Power button and select the option “Power off”, in order to switch off the phone
2.just wair for few seconds to switch off the phone completely.
3.after sometime try to press the Power button again to “Turn on” the phone.
4. Initially, if your device got frozen and it’s not switching off, You can try an alternative method to restart your smartphone.
5. Simply press both the Power Button and Volume Down/Up together, based on your make and model you can either use Volume Up or Volume Down and hold it for a few seconds to restart your device.
6. Then the phone will turn off and restart automatically to the normal condition as before.
Solution 2: Remove the Battery
If the touch screen is stagnant and not responding to the touches you can try this method to rectify the problem. If your phone has a removable battery, you can easily try out this method.
1. First, of all Gently remove the back cover
2. Pull out the battery from the phone.
3. After a while put it back together and switch on the phone.
Solution 3: Remove the sim card and memory card
The damaged sim card and memory card also has a role in the working of the phone. As a consequence of this, the phone will not respond to taps and touches and if it is not immediately solved it will completely ruin the working condition of the phone. Therefore it is necessary to check whether the memory card or sim card is the culprit.
1. Firstly switch off the phone by long-pressing the Power button as like the above-mentioned method.
2. Then eject the sim card from its slot and do the same for the memory card also.
3. Reboot the device and check if the problem is solved or not, In summing up this method can be used to find the defect of the sim card or memory card component
Solution 4: Reboot Into Safe Mode
Safe mode is a diagnostic mode on the Android operating system and it’s intended to help fix most of the problems within the operating system. Safe mode in the Android operating system is similar to that of the safe mode on the Windows OS because it loads only the default settings and default applications. Which means the user can’t able to use any 3rd party applications, which is downloaded from the play store. This technique will allow the user to find out the culprit application, which is causing the touchscreen unresponsiveness issue.
You can easily follow the given steps to enter into the safe mode.
1. Press and hold the Power button and choose “Power Off” option to switch off the phone.
2. Lets wait few seconds to allow the phone to switch off completely
3. “Turn on” the phone by pressing the Power button until the phone gives a haptic feedback
4. During the wakeup you can either press the Volume Down/Up button, depending upon your make and model of the device.
5. Samsung, LG, and many other brand phones require the Volume Down button to enter into the safe mode while HTC, VIVO uses the Volume Up button for this process.
6. You can identify this mode by looking at the ‘Safe mode‘ notation on the bottom left corner of the screen.
Solution 5: Manage The Installed Applications
Android will allow the user to install a tremendous amount of applications on their phone. Installing more number of applications will considerably reduce the performance of the phone and eventually it may lead to performance issues like lagging, freezing.etc
Since the applications use physical memory space for storing the application package as well as the resource files, It consumes a large amount of space from the phone and When these apps keep running in the background will result in an increased battery and primary memory(RAM) usage.
Some phones come with bloatware applications from the manufactures itself, These applications require root permission to uninstall it from the phone. On the other hand, there will be so many applications that are never used by the user these applications can be get rid by either disabling or uninstalling it from the phone.
In order to disable the applications follow this pathway
Go to ‘settings‘> select the option called ‘apps” from the settings menu >tap on the app that you want to disable > press on to the ‘Disable‘ button to disable it.
The second method is to uninstall it from the phone, in order to do this
Go to ‘settings> apps>tap on to the app that you want to uninstall>press ‘uninstall‘ button to remove it permanently from the device.
Solution 6: Install An Antivirus Application
An antivirus application will help to avoid malware or virus that is infected with your phone. The mobile malware or Virus is the term which is used to refer intrusive or hostile type software that targets mobile phones and causes a sudden collapse of the operating system and leads the phone to an unresponsive condition.
It has become very difficult to detect these type of software however, you can download and install third-party antivirus applications from the play store to efficiently detect and remove mobile malware.
Solution 7: Calibrate The Touchscreen
If your android phone touch screen is misbehaving and not responding to the touches, You could try to recalibrate the touchscreen by using Screen calibration applications
There are various applications available on the play store, which lets you help to calibrate the touchscreen
You can try to download any of the following application in order to calibrate your phone
Solution 8: Wipe Cache Partition
Most of all touch screen freezing, lagging and hanging problems are occurring due to the excessive accumulation of cache files in the memory,
The cache files automatically build up in the operating system as the application operates and it needs to clear from the system
One way is to do this by individually clearing the application cache files by Going to settings> apps>tap on each application and clear cache Another way around is Going to settings >select the storge>tap on the ‘cache memory’ and clear it.
Wipe cache partition is a powerful way to clear the cache files from the boot menu itself and it must be done once a week to improve the performance of your smartphone
Performing the ‘wipe cache partition can be done in a few steps.
1. Switch off the phone by long-pressing the Power button
2. After turning it off completely, reboot the phone by pressing the Power button and Volume Up/Down together
3. Hold those buttons until the phone vibrates and displays Android logo on the screen.
4. Release the buttons, Once you entered into the ‘recovery mode’.
5. Navigate selection to the option called ‘wipe cache partition‘ and accept it by pressing the Power button.
6. Reboot the phone, Rebooting allows the phone to restart and get back to working normally.
Solution 9: Do A Factory Reset
If you tried all of the above-mentioned methods and none of it has worked for you then you can do try the Factory Data Reset option.
Factory data reset is also known as the hard reset, this process will immediately erase all of the device’s memory and reboots the device into factory default settings. There are mainly two ways to perform the Factory data reset.
1. Recovery mode method
The first method is to perform the reset through Recovery mode, in order to do that.
1. Turn off the phone and while rebooting enter into the recovery mode by pressing the Power button and volume up/down at the same time.
2. Once you enter into the recovery mode, navigate in the menu by using Volume Up/Down and accept a selection by pressing Power Button.
3. Next is to tap on to the ‘wipe data/factory reset‘ and then, tap on ‘yes, delete all data‘ Option
4. The device will reboot and restore to the factory default settings.
2. Built-in reset method
The second method to perform factory data reset is by using the built-in feature.This is comparatively the easiest method of the two.
1. Go to the ‘settings‘>navigate to the option called ‘Backup and reset‘.
2.Proceed to ‘Backup and reset‘ and tap on ‘Reset‘ button
3.tap on to ‘Erase Everything ‘and reset the phone.
NOTE: Factory Data Reset will erase all the applications, app data, and all other files stored in the device, So it is mandatory to perform a data backup operation before you reset the device.
Fix Unresponsive Touchscreen Android [With Physical Damage]
Sometimes there is a possibility that our mobile phone is dropped on the ground or it is slipped into the water. In such situations there is a possibility of damaging the touchscreen, there are so many ways by which one can have control over the issue on touch screen not working. As the hardware is totally different from software there is no guarantee that this tip will help, so sometimes we may have to seek the help of the professional to get it fixed.
Solution 1: Test the Touch Screen
By using a built-in calibration app one can check the functioning of the touch screen, sensors, speakers and other features.
Following are the codes that can be used to enter in phone dialer to access it.
For Samsung phones, the code is *#7353#
For Sony Xperia phones, the code is *#*#7378423#*#* or *#*#SERVICE#*#*
For HTC, the code is *#*#3424#*#*
For Moto phones running Android 2.1 and above press *#0*#
1. first enter the code and it automatically redirects you to the calibration mode.
2. Select touchscreen and press ‘Run‘.
3. After completing this process draw lines on the touch screen across its width and height and check whether it is working properly or not. This will give an idea of the dead zones and it will help you to identify the actual spot where the damage has occurred and the actual issue happened from falling on the ground. This one will get an idea of the dead zone, where the screen is not functioning.
Solution 2: Knock Knock
If the issue of ‘touch screen not working’ is a result of the loose connection of digitizer cable, Then you can simply knock on the screen to jumpstart it. If you cannot identify a particular spot gently knock at every corner of the screen which might solve the problem.
Solution 3: Get a Touch Screen Replacement
If none of the above-mentioned solutions is working for you, Get a genuine replacement touch screen, its the best solution if the screen is not working properly and it also helps in the long run of your device, it is expensive to repair the touch screen every time so please handle your device carefully.
Replacing the touchscreen module of a smartphone is an agonizing and time-consuming process, So the best method is to go to the nearest service center and get a replacement.