Google Duo may be late to the party but it is already one of the most reliable apps to make video calls on smartphones. Google is available for both Android and iOS platforms and works flawlessly on both. But if you happen to use a Windows PC or Laptop for most of your activities then it only makes sense that prefer to do video calls without having to leave your favorite ecosystem. In such a case, it is time to look for options to use Google Duo on Windows computers.
At the rate at which Google Duo is gaining traction, there is no doubt that Google Duo for Windows or Google Duo Web Version pretty soon so that it can be accessed seamlessly on any platform. But until we get a word on the official version, the only choice we have is to use Google Duo on PC by installing an Android emulator on the PC.
Bluestacks is the most popular Android emulator for PC, but unfortunately, it fails to detect PC or Laptop webcam, without which using Google Duo is impossible on a PC. And this is the reason why we are going with another good Android emulator – Nox App Player. It can use your PC/Laptop camera without any issues when the apps need them.
Use Google Duo on PC or Laptop
- Download and Install Nox App Player on your Windows PC/Laptop: Link
- Download the Google Duo APK on your PC.
- Install and run the Nox App Player on your PC. When it’s fully loaded, click the Settings icon in the window control bar (near Window close, maximize and close button).
- Here, enable Root access; the Nox Player will now restart.
- Once you are back in Nox, add your Google account as you would add it to any Android device. Go to Settings > Accounts > Add account.
- Drag and drop the Google Duo APK into the Nox App Player window.
- You will see a pop-up window. From here, select the ‘Open APK folder’ option to open the APK file in a file manager on Nox.
- Click on Google Duo APK file, scroll to the bottom and click on the ‘Install’ button to install Google Duo on Nox App Player.
- Once Google Duo is installed, choose Open to open the Google Duo App on your PC.
- Inside the app, start by verifying your number. You may need to use the on-screen keys to input your number or else the Next button may not work. Keep your phone close as you would receive a verification code which you need to enter into the app. If verification fails to reach you by SMS, click on CALL ME text.Note: A phone number can only be used on one instance of Google Duo. So, if you have already set up Google Duo on your Android device, make sure to use another mobile number to set up Google Duo on PC. If you the same number as you did on your phone, it will get unregistered once you verify the same number on your Windows PC.
- Once the phone number verification is complete and you are done with the setup, click on the ‘Video call’ button and select the contact you want to make a video call to.Note: You can only make video calls to numbers saved in your Contacts. This is why we recommend you to add your Google account so that you’ll have contacts from your phone synced over to your PC.
Google Duo Alternatives
While the above method should be perfectly fine for you to be able to make Google Duo Video calls from Windows PC, there are quite a few great alternatives for Video Calling on a Windows computer.
While the method we had mentioned above should work for most, if for some reason you can’t get it to work then you can go with any of the below alternatives.
Skype the most famous and robust Google Duo alternative for Windows PC out there. It needs no introduction. Skype is made by Microsoft itself and the Skype app for Windows works flawlessly on even Windows 10 too.
Simply visit the Skype website to download and install Skype on your PC. Skype is cross-platform and is available for Mac, iOS, and Android as well – which makes it a perfect choice as you would not need to worry about compatibility.
Facebook Video Calls
Almost everyone on planet earth has a Facebook account and it does offer Video calling facility via Facebook Messenger.
If the person you want to make a video call is on Facebook, then this might be the best and easy option for you. All you gotta do is to head over to Messenger website and login to start making video calls
Viber used to offer only text messaging service but they have recently started offering video chat services as well. Times are changing – aren’t they.
From my experience, Viber Video calls are hassle-free, fast and easy to make. This is one of my top recommendations for the Google Duo Alternative for PC.